Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I’m Hearing Voices—Character Blogfest

I’ve been blogging for seven months. I haven’t decided yet whether that feels long or short :) I’ve met so many great people and made unexpected friendships (Wow, this sounds like a eulogy—it’s not).

I thought it was about time I hosted a blogfest. Now, technically this was Cassie’s (Reading, Writing, and Lovin' It!) idea, so we are going to co-host.



Every great story has great characters! So this blogfest is designed to help us flex our character writing muscles through three separate blog posts.

The Posts:

February 6th - MondayCharacters on the couch: Have one of your characters answer the following questions (to make this work to your benefit, choose a character who is the hardest for you to write :) Max 250 words (Not including the questions—only the answers). 
  1. What is your biggest vulnerability? Do others know this or is it a secret?
  2. What do people believe about you that is false?
  3. What would your best friend say is your fatal flaw? Why?
  4. What would the same friend say is your one redeeming quality? Why?
  5. What do you want most? What will you do to get it? 
February 8th - Wednesday - Dialogue Introduction: Have two characters introduce each other using only dialogue—no backstory, no internalization, just dialogue between the two. Max 250 words.

February 10th - Friday - Emotion Flash Fiction: Emotion is the engine of a story. Pick an emotion and in a flash fiction piece of 250 words MAKE us feel it! We want to connect with your character. This will be a challenge in 250 words.

The Prizes: 
Cassie and I decided to pick two winners for each day:

Monday’s Prize’s
  • From me: The Color Code by Taylor Hartman—this book is a fantastic study of personality. It’s simple, easy to follow, and will give you tons of insight into how different personalities interact. I use it all the time. I don't normally like non-fiction, but this is one of my favorites. See description here.
  • From Cassie:  Nightshade by Andrea Cremer.  You can check out the description from Goodreads here.  This book so far has been the only book to make me fall for both male leads.  The characters' flaws and their strengths kept pulling me in two different directions the entire way through.  

Wednesday’s Prize
  • From me: A query critique and first 20 page critique.
  • From Cassie: A query critique and first 20 page critique. 
Friday’s Prize
  • From me: A full manuscript critique.
  • From Cassie: A full manuscript critique.
How to enter:
  1. Add your name to the link below
  2. Follow Cassie
  3. Follow Me—If we don’t already, we will follow you back J
  4. Post about the blogfest sometime by January 30th
  5. You don’t have to, but we would love you to grab our button and add it to your side bar. 

There you go. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Come join the fun. It will be awesome!

-Angie


35 comments:

Alex Mullarky said...

Well done, your blog is great, seems like it's always been around :)

Kelley Lynn said...

Yay! Blogfest!!

Deana said...

Sounds like a blast! I'm in and already following both of you lovely ladies:)

Miranda Hardy said...

Ok, I signed up and followed Cassie. Looking forward to it. Sounds like a fun challenge.

Kim said...

Exciting! I could stand a good challenge :)

DLGardner said...

What a fun idea! I'm wondering how we submit...through the comments? Hopefully you'll let us know. I did follow.

Cassie Mae said...

Eep! Now I really can't wait for February!!!

Stacy Henrie said...

This sounds like a lot of fun. And I love the couch questions - great ones for figuring out our characters.

Rena said...

This sounds like a great blog fest, count me in!

Leigh Covington said...

YAY! This is a brilliant idea! YAY for both of you! Can't wait!

Sara Bulla said...

Sounds awesome! I might give it a go!

Melissa Sarno said...

All right, let's do it up. Angie, are you going to remind us about this before it happens? I never remember anything.

McKenzie McCann said...

This sounds like so much fun. I'd love to join in!

Donna K. Weaver said...

What a fun idea for a blogfest. If I wasn't already buried in stuff, I'd seriously consider participating.

Jolene Perry said...

I SUCK at bloggests, but I LOVE what you guys are doing!!! I'll SO be back :D

Emily R. King said...

Look at those numbers! The more the merrier. This is going to be a blast!

Peggy Eddleman said...

You guys are so cool!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Just to let you know, I'm joining up with this blog fest and blogging about it on Thursday.

DLGardner said...

By the way, do we post this stuff on our blogs? Is that the deal? Or here?

T.D. McFrost said...

SUPER AWESOME BLOGFEST!

And Michael joined twice! NO FAIR! :(

Sarah Ahiers said...

man, those prizes are awesome. I have to join up, can't miss the chance at a full MS critique

Julie Flanders said...

This is such a great idea for a blogfest! I have to think about it and make sure I can come up with entries, but I definitely want to try. I love that this sounds like it will be a lot of fun while also giving a chance to stretch my writing muscles. Thanks for co-hosting!

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

Awesome! I'm in

Laura Josephsen said...

Ooh, this looks like a really interesting blogfest!!

Ainsley Shay said...

Can't wait for the fun to begin!!

Sarah Ahiers said...

Just wanted to let you ladies know i'll be promoting the blogfest tomorrow on my blog

Karen Baldwin said...

Oh boy...I gotta think about this one. I thought my blog would go "dark" during February so I could tackle more submissions, but this sounds like too much fun.

JE said...

OMG, you are the only other person in the world who I have ever seen (besides me!) use the phrase, "easy peasy lemon squeezy". I <3 you for that alone! I think I might join this blogfest, but I don't need any of the prizes. I just like an adventure!

~JD

Nicole Zoltack said...

I signed up but can only do Wednesday and Friday. I hope that's ok.

Hywela Lyn said...

I've signed up - I'm hugely busy but this seem such a fun thing to do, I'm going to TRY to do all three!

DLGardner said...

Any other specific instructions? I'd like to post tonight if that's OK. I have other work to do in the morning.

Tara Tyler said...

i thought i commented and signed up a month ago! but my silly name isnt there. i've lost it...
still participating tho.

Karen Baldwin said...

Oh boy...sounds like a blast. I'm going to have to bow out as I'm taking February as my submission month...but I'll be watching the fun.

Scott Bury said...

Well, I guess I'm a little late to this blogfest. I was introduced to this by Michael Offut, who has a link to it, and found him through Rachel Harrie's blog.

I won't participate, but I'll follow and be ready for the next one.

relacid said...

Thank you for the sharing of information. I found the information very useful. This is a great item you posted. I'll be back to read some more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...