Pages

Monday, May 12, 2014

Tag a Writer


So you know that you have serious brain problems when you prepare a blog post weeks ahead of time and just forget to post it. Wow! Yep that is me J

My dazzling friend Deana Barnhart tagged me last we and since Emily King and I are working on a colab together we thought it would be fun to answer the questions together.

What am I working on?

Emily: Angie and I are currently finishing revisions on our YA fantasy, A SEASON OF BLOOM AND SHADOW, our first collaboration. We’ve also begun conceptualizing another YA fantasy that we hope to start once we’re querying. Writing a collab is so much fun!

I’m also receiving beta feedback on my rewritten (from MG to YA) fantasy, DAGGER ISLAND. Some of you may remember this MS from a year ago. It was received really well by agents, but I was told it would sell better as a YA. After writing another MS, I returned to this one and am now hoping to polish it up to query soon.

Angie: Emily is way more ambitious than me. My only project for the moment is my collab with Em, unless you count throwing Honey Nut Cheerios at my eight-month-old so I can write a project. Some days it is.

How does my work differ from others of its genre?

Emily: I like worlds with different ethnicities and landscapes, among other diversities. I feel a world isn’t complete until it’s as varied as ours is.

Angie: I think of my work as fantasy with a twist. Maybe it’s an unusual world, or fun magical limitation. Our current MS is about people separated into tribes by the seasons of their birth. Their season is the only time they possess magic.

Why do I write what I do?

Emily: I write fantasy because I enjoy building a world wrought with the same prejudices, government injustices, religions, and various ideologies we find in ours. Then I plunk my characters down in all that turmoil and watch them wither or thrive.

Angie: I second Em’s answer and add that fantasy is an escape from this world. I love the possibilities that open up when I’m not required to stay here, and I don’t have to do much research J.

How does my writing process work?

Emily: Well, I just ask Angie what we should do and go with it. J  Really though, working on a collaboration novel requires a lot of late night emails, early phone calls, and texts the size of the Bible. You do everything you normally do when writing—brainstorming, plotting, drafting, revising, rewriting—except you don’t have to do it alone. Two heads really are better than one.

Angie: I LOVE writing with Emily. It’s by far the most fun I’ve ever had writing. Everything is easier when you have someone to bounce ideas off of and share the stress. And just to set the record straight, any time Em says something feels off and we need to fix it—I listen. Her writing instincts are ALWAYS right.

To get really technical, this is our process: Brainstorm the world, beat out the bones of the plot, draft chapter by chapter in order, let it sit for a few months, revise for character depth and plot holes, send to betas, revise again, polish polish polish, query!

I know I want to tag my favorite Burley Idaho writer Cortney Pearson. We had such a great time at Storymakers. She is so sweet and talented! I also happen to know its her B-day this week, so take your time with the tag Cortney J


Angie

20 comments:

Cortney Pearson said...

ANGIE!!! You're so sweet, thanks for tagging me! And I had a BLAST hanging out with you too!!! (And hooha for the birthday shout-out, lol) :D

Sounds like such a fun project, how exciting for you guys!!

Kim said...

Oh, Emily would be a great person to collaborate with. How fun!
And I love the Cheerios - tossing reference. I have a 14 month old, and can completely relate :)

Leigh Covington said...

So excited about you and Em's collab!!! ROCK ON, LADIES! And I love Cortney too! Must tell her Happy Birthday!

Emily R. King said...

You are fabulicious, my dear!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I would totally do the same thing with the posting. I'm so good at minor snaffus! You and Emily rock. I love you both!!

Anonymous said...

How fun to collaborate with a friend!!! I've always wanted to do that . . . thanks for sharing more about yourselves here. Love Deana . . . she's Beta reading my WIP for me this month :-)

ilima said...

You two are awesome. I can't wait to read ASOBAS and your new shiny idea. Super cool.

David P. King said...

I absolutely have to see what you two come up with. :)

Unknown said...

But, yet, where is our indelible soul going AFTER we leave our mortal body (our physical bodies decompose)? Find-out where we went...

As a writer of the sassy, savvy, insane yooFEMisms we A-L-L go through in this finite existence, I as well as you gotta lotta angst, too, and the synonymous metaphors which shall creeep stealthily across thy brain like the vivid, brazen dawn are the cohesion which brings U.S. together, girl.

So, see if you cannot subliminally 'read-between-the-lines' or VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI (Latin: words to the wise): here's summore symbiotically-explosive-coolness done in sardonic satires when we passed-away:

Here's what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

Go git'm, girl. You're incredible.
See you Upstairs...
thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

But, yet, where is our indelible soul going AFTER we leave our mortal body (our physical bodies decompose)? Find-out where we went...

As a writer of the sassy, savvy, insane yooFEMisms we A-L-L go through in this finite existence, I as well as you gotta lotta angst, too, and the synonymous metaphors which shall creeep stealthily across thy brain like the vivid, brazen dawn are the cohesion which brings U.S. together, girl.

So, see if you cannot subliminally 'read-between-the-lines' or VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI (Latin: words to the wise): here's summore symbiotically-explosive-coolness done in sardonic satires when we passed-away:

Here's what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

Go git'm, girl. You're incredible.
See you Upstairs...
thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

http://gezipgelelim.blogspot.com.tr/
http://gezipgelelim.blogspot.com.tr/
pls visit me

googlemediaseo said...

I liked your blog very muchDigital MarketingBy the next afternoon I'm kissing on the bit to bring it back. This is a great blogspot theme, where you can find the best themes and latest designs. very nice. But you know that this is the right time to start your business with Google Media Website Development

prince said...

but the advice you've read play bazaarshould help guide you with this task. Therefore,satta king you should use the guidance above and get going!

tya6i said...

sanu ikk pal chain na aawe soniye tere bina jado jado teri yaad aawe dil mera russ russ jawe par is heer ranjhe de kahani vich ranjha badal gya ve play bazaar

Eric brunt said...

i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

play bazaar said...

Once you have decided what MLM program to go with, write out a business plan. Plan out how you will promote your product. Describe how you will go about recruiting for your down lines. When you have a plan, you have a road map for success that will help you stay the course.play bazaar

playbazaar said...

play bazaar Satta King good site

digital quick said...

your blog is unique, i really liked your blog, I want to share some news with you on world news. latestest news. just take some time and check my website as possible as, thank you cbse 12 result 2020 class 12 exam results 2020 cbse 12 result class 12 exams

Satta king said...

http://sattaresultbaba.com is the no. 1 and trusted indian satta gambling website. Here you find the fastest result of satta king games direct from satta market & all game record chart.

satta matka said...

It is in reality a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m satisfied that you
just shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to
date like this. Thanks for sharing.
Madhur Matka

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...