Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Voice


I have been trying to pin down the elusive enigmatic idea that is—VOICE. We hear it over and over that our writing must have a distinctive voice. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

I’ve resorted to reading books that agents have blogged about and said, “This book has perfect VOICE.” So after a little research, this is what I’ve learned about VOICE.



VOICE is: How you tell your story. Is your writing lyrical, funny, snarky, independent, dark, brutal, etc… This is your story voice.

VOICE is: How your characters speak, act, and move through your story. Do your characters grab readers by the hand and lead them through the story? Do they have personalities that leap from the page? This is character voice.

VOICE is: Your take on the world as an author. The truth and themes, you weave into your story, tell readers what you want them to ponder and learn. This is your intention voice.

I am by no means an expert on VOICE. These are just ideas I have formed by reading books that agents have touted as having unforgettable VOICE.

Anyone have any other ideas?

-Angie

4 comments:

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

I like your explanation. I think it's a good one.

Sara Bulla said...

Amazing. It is so tough to pin this down and I think you've done a valiant job! Awesome post...as usual. :)

Ecstatic Expression (James Thomas Canali) said...

love the image!

Ecstatic Expression (James Thomas Canali) said...

So True! VOICE IS OUR TRUE IDENTITY! ITS OUR RHYTHM OUR FLOW!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...