Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

The GREAT What If Game


Most of the time plot is easy for me. My first manuscript practically wrote itself. But now as I work on my second manuscript I find the plot elusive as smoke when I try and grab hold. This problem gives me the dreaded-writers block, because I don't know where the story is going. (My writers block is so bad I would rather do edits on my first MS- shudder)

So I'm trying a little exercise that writers have always done: the great what if game.

Here is how you play. Ask yourself - what if? over and over until you have a great plot.
  • What if your hero slips up and gives information to to the bad guys?
  • What if an important character is kidnapped?
  • What if your hero and heroine have a misunderstanding that changes their relationship?
  • What if an escape plan is foiled?
  • What if a character you thought you knew is someone else entirely?
You get the idea. I plan on doing this exercise until my smoky plot suddenly becomes solid. Then I am going to write the heck out of it :) Wish me luck.

-Angie


1 comment:

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

GOOD LUCK ANGIE!!!

and thanks for the blog link, you made my day (yes, it took me this long to notice.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...