Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Forgotten Books: Prize Winner

I am generally not a fan of true stories. I’m not sure why, but with fiction if something terrible happens I can always say, “Well at least it isn’t true. But the Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio is hands down my favorite non-fiction memoire.

THE PRIZE WINNER OF DEFIANCE OHIO

Author: Terry Ryan

Genre: Memoire

Published: 2001

Evelyn Ryan, wife of an alcoholic husband and mother of ten children, lived in a small town in a time and place when women did not seek jobs outside the home. A lesser woman might have succumbed to poverty, but she was determined to keep her family financially afloat and to teach her children that the life of the mind was important. In the early 1950s, Ryan started entering contests, composing her jingles, poems, and essays at the ironing board. Ryan's unconventionality and sense of humor and her persistence makes the reader cheer her on.

This book is one of the funniest books I’ve ever read. Evelyn Ryan’s attitude and sense of humor make you believe anything is possible. This story is basically a love note from the author to her mother, just lovely. I read it whenever I need my spirits boosted :) I know they made it into a movie and I can’t vouch for it, but I’m sure as is always the case—the book is better!

And last thought: How can you not want to read a book with that many attractive people on the cover? Did I go to far?

-Angie



4 comments:

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

I should read this. I've only seen the movie (which I loved.)

amy kennedy said...

It's a great book -- it made me wish there were still contests like this. Don't you think it would be a great side income for writers?

Anonymous said...

I'm with Shelly - haven't read but loved the movie :)
Kim Karras

Sara Bulla said...

For some unknown reason, I have resisted this book. Why? I don't know! I need to give it a chance, I'll probably love it. Thanks for the recommend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...