I know…I know, I’m not being super original, but I can’t help it—Elizabeth Bennet is my favorite Protagonist. A great protag is one you can root for, identify with, wish you were—and come on, who doesn’t want a little attention from Mr. Darcy?
What makes Elizabeth so amazing? Don’t worry…I’m going to tell you :)
- Brave—It’s easy for us to make choices when we can get a job and live however we want. But Elizabeth can’t. She must be brave and trust that following her heart is the right choice.
- Humble—She may get love wrong at first but when she finally figures it out she isn't too proud to admit it. I will say that she doesn't start out like this.
- Witty—I would hate to be in a battle of wits with Elizabeth. I would lose for sure. Don’t you just love smart funny women? There aren’t enough of them in literature. Let’s write some :)
- Unwavering—Elizabeth may change her opinion about Darcy and Wickham, but she never compromises her morals.
- Loyal—She stands by her family even though sometimes they are ridiculous. Didn’t you just cringe when Lydia made her sisters walk behind her?
- Flawed—Perfect protags are boring! Elizabeth is far from perfect. She is judgmental, proud, sometimes oblivious, stubborn, and stuck up. The great thing about flaws it that they balance out a character.
So what about it? Who are your favorite literary Protagonists? Want to see the other entries—click here.