I have a soft spot for supporting characters—they never get the praise they deserve. Without the grounding supporting character, our heroes would wander around angsty and aimless.
This was an easy pick for me. My favorite supporting character of all time is Samwise Gamgee. He’s amazing! Sam completely encompasses this idea—the best supporting character’s really a hero in disguise.
Why I love Sam
- Loyal—Sam defines this word. He never wavers in his loyalty. He would die for Frodo. I’m sure he thought at times he would.
- Brave—He fights again and again, even when hobbits are not known for their bravery.
- Supportive—I love Frodo, but without Sam everything would have been lost.
- Determined—He NEVER gives up. Frodo is getting into the Mount of Doom—even if Sam has to carry him!
- Funny—Sam makes me laugh, and that’s always a plus.
- Chief—Sam is always cooking :) I want to travel Middle Earth with someone who will make me dinner. I wonder if my kids would be so picky if Sam cooked them dinner?
I have another funny reason why I love Sam. The actor Sean Astin looks a little like my husband J When my hubby was growing up in California people used to think he was Sean Astin. LOL!
Got any favorite supporting characters? If you want to check out the other entries in Deana and Emily’s Killer Characters Blogfest—click here. Come back Wednesday for Killer Characters: Protagonists.