Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Don’t be a ZUNE!


I had an epiphany last week when I heard Steve Jobs passed away. He was such an amazing pioneer—a trail blazer in his field.

Does anyone remember when the Microsoft Zune came out? Are they still even around? I remember thinking that the Zune was too late. They were playing catch up. There was no way they would be as successful at the ipod.

Do you ever feel like you are playing catch up to the publishing world? What Stephenie Meyer did for vampires won’t be duplicated. I’ve even heard agents recently say, “NO MORE VAMPIRE BOOKS!” Which sucks if you love vampires and it’s your passion to write about them.

So how do you know if you have written a Zune—an idea that has already been done better? I think you have to be really honest with yourself. And if you aren’t getting any intrest from agents maybe you need to shelve it and try something new.

Author Janice Hardy wrote about this on her blog (read her full post here): My first novel was doomed because it was just another fantasy novel with a prophecy and a chosen one. Even the best-written novel can't be saved by an idea that's been done to death. Fresh ideas can get you a long way. Lots of people can write well, but not everyone can come up with awesome ideas.

So the next big thing has to be fresh! A trail blazing idea! It is out there. Maybe you’ve written it already! I hope so.

-Angie

During WriteOnCon a lot of agents asked for ghost stories especially in MG. Just a thought.

8 comments:

Melissa Sarno said...

Ah, the zune. I hope I'm not playing catch up with my ideas. I always just write what I love and don't think about what others are doing.

Ruth Josse said...

I think you just came up with a new catch phrase. Don't be a Zune! I love this comparison though. I think the fear of my book being a Zune is way out there in the forefront.

Emily R. King said...

Hmm, now you have me wondering if I've written something that's doomed or fresh. I'll have to think on this one. : )

Sara Bulla said...

Ghost Stories, huh? My new idea has a ghostish flare, but I don't know if it qualifies. Something to think about. Great post - I've been thinking about that very thing hoping that my book ideas are as fresh and original as I think they are. Thanks for your thoughts!

Jenny S. Morris said...

My hubby keeps telling me, honey this one hasn't been done. (he doesn't read YA, so I'm a little sceptical) But, if I see books about angels, I always read the synopsis, and go, okay nothing like mine. Other people's opinions are key in understanding, if it's been done to death. Because sometimes we're just to close to the story.

Angela Cothran said...

Melissa - I write what I love too :)

Ruth - I always wanted a catch phrase. Now if I could just get some theme music...

Emily - Fresh! For sure fresh :)

Sara - I would love to read a ghostish story by you.

Jenny - That is so true. And bless our husbands hearts, they are so sweet.

amy kennedy said...

Angie -- I think about this all the time. But I think I disagree -- sort of -- I think there are only so many variations of all ideas out there, and it's absolutely how you write it/present it.

But, I do have a YA ghost story rough draft...maybe I better get it out and start editing!

Tara Tyler said...

be aware of what is happening around you and always have something to write on. inspiration strikes in the oddest places & times!

and thats why i want to get my book out soon, before someone else does!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...