Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Red Flag Words


I'm deep into line edits for my manuscript. Slowly going word by word through 93,000 words. It makes me a little crazy. Just like in yesterdays post, I found a lot of help on Janice Hardy's blog.

Some words tend to be redundant, telling, passive and inactive. These are the words that give me the most trouble:

That
Very
Almost
Really
Even
Since
Although
Thought
Since
Over
Down
Was, were
Have, had, has
Will be
Been
Felt

Janice Hardy has two great posts about this: Spit shine (for a complete list) and Send up the (red) flag.

Good luck with your edits :)
Angie

1 comment:

Sara Bulla said...

Angie, I just read your last two posts. So informative. You are a wealth of knowledge! Seriously...thank you for the blog links and for your own insights. I am so appreciative that you are in the critique group with me.

And as long as I'm throwing compliments your way - Wow, you are amazing at cranking out the posts. They are informative and fun...thank you again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...