Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Reading to Write

I hear writers say all the time that they are too busy to read. That is so sad L I hope that is never me.

I feel like I learn as much from reading books as from writing books. I find that I enjoy books more as a writer because I am trying to learn everything I can from them. Even if I am reading a book I don’t like, I can appreciate the time and skill it took to create them.

As I read along in a new book. I’m always asking myself questions like:

  • Where did the author do well?
  • What worked for you?
  • Where did the story fail you?
  • Where did it exceed your expectations?
  • How did the author surprise you?
  • What did you need from the story? Did you get it?
  • What was your favorite part?
  • What did you hate?

As a writer the two questions that have shaped my writing the most are: Where did the story fail? and What did you need from the story?

I think part of reading is about finding the good and bad in a story, so you can learn from it—even if you aren't a writer. But I know I’ve been swept away if I forget all my questions, and just fall into the story.

-Angie

2 comments:

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

I do sometimes think that I'm too busy to read more than 3 or 4 books at a time. ;)
I love reading.

Ava Z. said...

What a coincidence! Thanks for sharing the link to your post and for revealing the name and artist of this painting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...