Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Endings

This post isn't about book endings but chapter endings. The end of a chapter is the perfect place for a reader to stick in a book mark and change the laundry, sleep, mow the lawn, etc.

As a writer I want to write a book you can’t put down. I want to write a book that makes you feed your kids cereal for dinner because you lost track of time.

But how do I do that? I think a great way is to end a chapter with a BANG. End with something that makes you read on:

  • End with a threat
  • End with a mystery
  • End with a kiss, but no reaction
  • End with trauma (emotional or physical)
  • End with emanate danger
  • End with a discovery
  • End with a question
  • End with conflict

There are more examples. Just think about what you want your readers to do, keep reading or do the dishes, and you will find ways to end the chapter.

-Angie

PLEASE DON’T READ AND DRIVE

5 comments:

Densley Family said...

I have a love hate relationship with authors like you. I prefer to take a nap after a chapter... and there will be no napping with eminent danger.

Sara Bulla said...

My WIP is flashing before my eyes. I so need to step up my chapter endings. They are abrupt,but not a bang. Big difference! Thanks so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge...I'm so benefiting from this!
Sara

mom said...

Thanks for your comments. I am edging toward writing again. You help.

BtW, you picture is interesting. Once, driving the insane 95 to Wash DC, I passed a driver with his newspaper fully opened on his steering whee. In his defense, the letters are larger than the texted ones on the mobile.

mom said...

PS, I am not anyone's mom that you know. I use this for my daughters' blogs and don't know how to change the name.

Angela Cothran said...

I guessed you weren't my mom...she doesn't write :)

If you go on your blogspot dashboard you can view and edit your display name.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...