Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Confessions of a Cynical Blogger


Okay, I'm just going to come right out and say it. The cynical blogger is ... me. It's true. I have had a resistance ... no, it's more than that -- a defiance to blogs (not unlike my defiance of Facebook, Twitter and the like). I never understood them or why people all over the earth would flock together to scroll through someone's random thoughts or inspirations. Like I said, this is my confession, and I'm laying it all out on the table (you've been warned).

Six months ago when Angie, Amy and I decided to start a critique group as well as a blog, I did so on the recommendation of an agent at the conference we attended. My idea of a blog was to get our three names on a webpage. That's it. Put up a few pictures, a bio, contact info and call it good. I didn't want to fall into that 'self-centered, egotistical, can't-contain-my-greatness-so-I-just-have-to-blog-about-it' category. I didn't want to shine, I didn't want to shake things up - I just wanted to be a fly on the blogging world wall and let success come to us, rather than seek it out ourselves.

Angie, on the other hand, had other ideas. And this is the moment where my cynicism waned dramatically.

I began seeing posts about campaigns and blogfests (what?), not having any clue what Angie was up to. I just stuck my nose back into my manuscript while she plugged away at the blog. Then some of you started leaving awesome comments to Angie's deluxe posts. I began following links to your blogs. And what's worse - I began to read them. I read your bios, the upcoming events surrounding your writing, interviews, tips, ideas, the latest blog award, helpful links, etc.

Imagine the shock I received when, come to find out, you aren't all a bunch of bored, over-inflated, anti-social people who have nothing better to do than surf the internet and make imaginary friends (please don't throw stones, my confession ends well, I promise. I'm a changed woman).

I read one line in Jen Daiker's blog that completely broadsided me. In answer to why she has so many followers on her blog, she replied that aside from her obvious awesomeness, the real, bottom-line answer is: Hard Work. And she's right. Blogging is not for the faint of heart -- I know that now. You have all stepped up to plate, embraced the new face of marketing, putting your name and your talent out there and are networking your fingers to the bone.

I'm new to the game. I HAD NO IDEA THIS WAS SO MUCH WORK!(a lot of fun, but work none the less). Come to find out, you guys aren't bored, twiddling-your-fingers kind of people. You have children, careers, side jobs, second jobs, third jobs, husbands, laundry, pets, wives ... just like me. You have to juggle your time and priorities ... just like me. You are probably functioning on too little sleep ... just like me.

The truth is, you're talented people, with regular lives who know that you have to work for what you want. You're using tools to reach your dream. To be successful writers and teachers and whatever else. You're not entertaining any delusions that your dream will be realized without some sweat, tears and a lot of typing. You're realistic and motivated and hardworking.

So, from a novice blogger, may I just say, thanks for teaching me a few ropes, a few tricks of the trade and above all, for putting yourselves out there every week and giving some of us who thought we knew it all, a good spanking (metaphorically speaking! :))

--Sara Bulla

17 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

Sara, while reading this, I felt my writing partner was writing it. Lol Although blogging takes time, the benefits outweigh the cons. Glad you have been converted.

Elizabeth said...

Good thoughts, Sara! Like you, I'm slowly converting to this new (to me) on-line world!

Brinda said...

Yeah, you are right. It is a lot of hard work but well worth it!

Angela said...

Hard Work. Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Not that I didn't enjoy reading this, because I did. So glad to see you getting into the blog game. :)

Jessie Humphries said...

Glad you said it. I think we've all been there! But sometimes it can be so rad to blog when we connect and understand eachother.

Cassie Mae said...

I was just like you were. I refused to start a blog because I felt like I would just be talking to myself. Little did I know that there were people out there who would actually read what I was posting. Not only that, but that I would come to consider them friends. And now I know without the support, the blogfests, the contests, all of the above, I probably would have never found the strength alone to keep going forward. :)

Angela Cothran said...

You are so funny :) Cynical is not an adjective I would use to describe you, but I'm glad you are converted to the joys of blogging. There is something so cool about connecting with other writers.

Angela Brown said...

LOL!! I resisted the call to blog for a couple of years so I can totally understand where you're coming from. But like you, I've embraced and enjoyed it. It is amazing to see the blogging community and know there are lots of people like me who are struggling, toiling, trying and trying again. People are reaching out, paying their dues and making strides. It's been an awesome experience and I look forward to more.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Yup. Notice they don't mention that to us when they tell us we need to get that platform going. It's been wonderful, but it can take over your life, that's for sure.

Melissa Sarno said...

Great post! Glad you've come around to the 'dark side' ;) I love to hear what you've discovered about blogging. I do believe it's a lot of hard work.

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

I'm glad you've popped into my blog and that you are posting more often here. I hope to get to know you even better with time.
There are amazing things happening here in the cybersphere. (Do you have a twitter? Find me @SBrownWriter)

Peggy Eddleman said...

I totally agree. Blogging is awesome. It connects me to a lot of REALLY GREAT people. And it's an amazingly huge amount of hard work. I still haven't figured out how to balance everything.

Melissa Sugar said...

I understand where you are coming from. I resisted starting a blog for a long time also for many of the same reasons. I also assumed that everyone blogging were probably all old friends (blogging friends) by now and wouldn't really welcome anyone new into their clique. I was so wrong. I am glad I came around and the same goes for you. I have met the greatest people and everyone is so willing to help when I have writing or blogging questions.

Great post

Sara Bulla said...

So many amazing comments. This only solidifies my new found respect for bloggers. I have been welcomed with open arms and I thank you all so much. I will no doubt be visiting many of your blogs asking for advice or just basking in your genius! Thanks again for all of the comments and support. Awesome!

Stacy Henrie said...

Blogging does take a lot of work. The upside is that you get to "meet" lots of great people!

Sam Walker said...

Yes, like many here, I enjoyed your post, a novice myself to this strange new world, I've had my doubts, asked myself what's the point? While I am slowly immersing myself, and yes it is hard work, I find the best way to do so, is to join a competition (if anyone knows of any, I'd love to know about them) Rach Harris' allowing me to get to know some of you intially, including yourself. It's always nice for people to find you randomly of course, I get a kick at looking at those stats, people from all over the world whom I haven't met yet, who are following without actually being followers, just readers I guess, but obviously coming back for more of my particular brand of writing, Russia, Indonesia, New Zealand, South America, India - to name a few. I find, even though its still slow going for me, that I enjoy putting up a mish-mash of blog posts regardless of anyone looking or not; it keeps me writing on a daily basis, when I don't feel like working on my manuscripts, and that is essential; keeping me in practice. :D

Ed and Cathy said...

Nice article Sara! It gave me hope that the blog Ed and I have been talking about posting could actually be done. It's fun to read blogs of families and friends, but to actually BLOG? Hmm. I imagine the first planning stages are the hardest. Love you, Cathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...